Want to introduce yourself in Korean? Read this lesson. It’ll take you 3 minutes, and ALL the Korean lines you need are here.
If you don’t, I don’t care – this is ONLY for people that truly want to speak Korean.
OK! Here’s how you introduce yourself in Korean. You learn the 6 MUST-KNOW lines. We’ll go from 1-6 and translate it so you can easily start talking Korean ASAP.
1. “Hello, My name is….. It’s nice to meet you!” in Korean. (formal)
- 안녕하세요? 저는 (name)입니다. 처음 뵙겠습니다.
- Annyeonghaseyo? Jeoneun (name)-imnida. Cheoeum boepgesseumnida.
- Annyeonghaseyo? Jeoneun John-imnida. Cheoeum boepgesseumnida.
- Hello, my name is John. Nice to meet you!
You should also listen and hear real Korean – Press play below. Try this Free Lesson from KoreanClass101.com (click here to visit) for the complete explanation about introducing yourself!
Ok, what’s next?
Where are you from?
2. “I am from …….” in Korean.
- (place) 서 왔습니다.
- (place) eseo wasseumnida.
- 미국 miguk – America
- 미국서 왔습니다. Migugeseo wasseumnida. I’m from the U.S.A.
But what if you’re not from the United States? How can you introduce yourself in Korean and talk about YOUR country? Fear not; below is a list that will help you. Simply find your country and add it to the line above!
- Australia 호주 hoju
- Austria 오스트리아 osu t’ria
- Brazil 브라질 burajil
- Canada 캐나다 k’aenada
- China (PRC) 중국 chung-guk
- China (Taiwan) 대만 daeman
- England (United Kingdom) 영국 yeong-guk
- France 프랑스 p’urangsu
- Germany 독일 tok-il
- Hong Kong 홍콩 hong k’ong
- India 인도 indo
- Italy 이탈리아 it’al-lia
- Japan 일본 ilbon
- Malaysia 말레이지아 mallae-i jia
- Mexico 멕시코 maeksik’o
- Mongolia 몽고 mong-go
- Myanmar (Burma) 미얀마 miyanma
- New Zealand 뉴질랜드 nyu jeelaendu
- The Philippines 필리핀 p’ileepeen
- Singapore 싱가폴 sing-gap’ol
- Spain 스페인 sup’ai-in
- Sweden 스웨덴 suwei-dain
- Switzerland 스위스 suweisu
- Thailand 태국 t’ae-guk
- Vietnam 베트남 baet’unam
Now, let’s talk about your age.
3. “I am …… years old” in Korean.
- (age) 살 입니다.
- (age) sal imnida.
- 열여덟살 입니다. Yeolyeodeolsal imnida. I am 18 years old.
Okay, to fully introduce yourself in Korean and state your age, you’ll need to know numbers.
Below is a chart of the Korean numbers (there are 2 sets – this is the Korean Native System) which is used for age. If you’re wondering how to do in-between numbers like 23, 35, 47 and so on, heres what you should do.
- Take the Korean word for 20, 30, 40, etc. – whichever is your age
- Then take the single digit number (1-9)
- Add the two together.
- For example: 45 is…
- 40 is maheun
- 5 is daseot
- so, 45 is maheundaseot
- For example: 45 is…
4. “I am a (student/occupation)” in Korean.
- 학생입니다. Haksaeng-imnida I’m a student.
- 회사원입니다. Hoisawon-imnida. I’m an office worker.
5. “I’ve been learning Korean for….” in Korean.
- (time duration) 동안 공부했습니다.
- (time duration) dong-an gonbu-haesseumnida.
- I’ve been learning for 1 month.
- handaldong-an gonbu-haesseumnida.
- 한달 동안 공부했습니다.
6. “I’ve learned Korean in school, etc.” in Korean.
- (place/location)에서 배웠습니다.
- (place/location)eseo baewosseumnida.
- I learned it in school.
- hakkyoeseo baewosseumnida.
- 학교에서 배웠습니다.
Here’s your Korean self introduction script you might want to use.
Annyeonghaseyo? Jeoneun (name)-imnida. Cheoeum boepgesseumnida. (place) eseo wasseumnida. (Age) sal imnida. (occupation)-imnida. (time duration) dong-an gonbu-haesseumnida. (place/location)eseo baewosseumnida.
Now you know how to introduce yourself in Korean!
The first thing any beginner Korean learner needs is an introduction. Why? Because who the hell are you? Where are you from? Why are you learning Korean & why should anyone care? If you got this far, you should now have a full script about yourself to use in conversations.
So, what do you do now?
- Take the script I gave you above and put in your name, age, etc. There’s your introduction.
- Introduce yourself in Korean by leaving a comment below!
- Start using your introduction.
- ..and learn even more Korean.
- Get Korean Audio Lessons: Top 7 Free Korean Audio Lessons for Beginners
- Get Korean Textbooks: 7 Best Korean TextBooks. A List for Beginners.
- For Beginners: 14 Unique Ways to Say Hello in Korean
- 10 Ways to ask How Are You in Korean & How to Respond
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Korean learners. If you REALLY want to learn Korean with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at KoreanClass101 (click here) and start learning!