Want to speak Vietnamese? Yes? Good – keep reading. This is for those that truly want to learn the language. Here’s how you introduce yourself in Vietnamese in 10 easy lines… and this might take you 2 to 3 minutes or less. With this lesson…
- You get the Vietnamese phrases and English translations.
- Read out loud to practice your speaking.
- Feel free to print this sheet out for extra review.
- You’ll know how to write & say your introduction.
Here’s how you introduce yourself in Vietnamese. Let’s go.
(BUT… if you want to REALLY learn Vietnamese with Audio & Video lessons from real teachers, be sure to check out VietnamesePod101.com and click here)
1) Hello, It’s nice to meet you.
Hello and Nice to meet you in Vietnamese are a must-know phrases. And any introduction will probably will start with these words.
- Hello, it’s nice to meet you.
- Xin chào, rất vui được gặp bạn.
2) My name is _____.
This is simple. To say “my name is” in Vietnamese, you just need the phrase “Tên tôi là.” Then say your name.
- My name is ____.
- Tên tôi là ____.
3) I am from ______.
So, where are you from? America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Just stick the name of your country inside this phrase. We’ll use Vietnam as an example.
- I’m from Vietnam.
- Tôi đến từ Việt Nam.
4) I live in ______.
What about now – where do you live? Just fill in the blank with the country or city (if famous) into this phrase. I’ll use Hanoi as an example.
- I live in Hanoi.
- Tôi sống ở Hà Nội.
5) I’ve been learning Vietnamese for _____.
How long have you been learning Vietnamese for? A month? A year?
- I’ve been learning Vietnamese for a year.
- Tôi đã học tiếng Việt 1 năm rồi.
6) I’m learning Vietnamese at _____.
Where are you learning Vietnamese? At school? At home? This would be a great line to know and use when you’re introducing yourself. Here’s my example:
- I’m learning Vietnamese at VietnamesePod101.com.
- Tôi đang học tiếng Việt tại VietnamesePod101.com.
7) I am ____ years old.
Here’s how to say how old you are in Vietnamese.
- I’m 27 years old.
- Tôi 27 tuổi.
8) I am ______.
What about your position? Are you a student? Yoga teacher? Lawyer for the potato industry? Potato salesman? Super important question that people like to ask (and judge you about – Hey, I’m just a blogger!).
- I’m a teacher.
- Tôi là một giáo viên.
9) One of my hobbies is _____.
Now, let’s move onto personal interests – hobbies! My hobbies are languages, linguajunkieing and such. How about you? You’ll definitely need this line when introducing yourself in Vietnamese.
Here’s an example to use:
- One of my hobbies is reading.
- Một trong những sở thích của tôi là đọc sách.
10) I enjoy listening to music.
Now, this is just another example line about your hobbies. You can use something else where.
- I enjoy listening to music.
- Tôi thích nghe nhạc.
So now you know how to introduce yourself in Vietnamese in 10 lines. I’m sure there’s a ton more you can say – but this is an easy, simple start that any beginner can put to use. It’s all about starting easy.
See if you can introduce yourself below. Leave me a comment.
I read all comments!
Hope you enjoyed this!
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Vietnamese learners. If you REALLY want to learn to Vietnamese with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at VietnamesePod101 (click here) and start learning!