Can you learn Hebrew on YouTube?
The answer will shock you.
In this quick guide, you will learn 1) Hebrew YouTube phrases, and 2) How to learn Hebrew on YouTube, or if it’s even possible.
Part 1: Hebrew YouTube phrases
First, you will learn some Hebrew YouTube phrases. Why? Well, lots of people take to YouTube to learn things. How to tie a tie. How to unclog a toilet. And of course, for learning Hebrew.
And let’s say you’re learning Hebrew on YouTube. You’d want to be able to talk about that in Hebrew. For example, you’re talking to someone about how you learn Hebrew and want to explain what you watch, what channels you like and so on. So, here are some phrases first.
1. I learn Hebrew on YouTube
- For a male – אני לומד עברית ביוטיוב
- Phonetics – ani lomed ivrit bayut’yub
- For a female – אני לומדת עברית ביוטיוב
- Phonetics – ani lomedet ivrit bayut’yub
And as you can probably already tell, “ani” means “I,” “lomed” is “learn,” and “ivrit” means Hebrew.
2. I like watching Hebrew videos
- For a male – אני אוהב לצפות בסרטונים בעברית
- Phonetics – ani ohev litzpot besirtonim beivrit
- For a female – אני אוהבת לצפות בסרטונים בעברית
- Phonetics – ani ohevet litzpot besirtonim beivrit
And if “lomed/lomedet” means learn, then “litzpot” means “Watch.”
3. I listen to Hebrew videos
Just in case you’re the kind of person that leaves videos on in the background and just listens.
- For a male – אני מאזין לסרטונים בעברית
- Phonetics – ani ma’azin lesirtonim beivrit
- For a female – אני מאזינה לסרטונים בעברית
- Phonetics – ani ma’azina lesirtonim beivrit
4. My favorite channels are X, Y and Z
What are your favorite YouTube channels? Here’s how you list them out in Hebrew.
- Zו- Y, X הערוצים האהובים עלי הם
- Phonetics – ha’arutzim ha’ahuvim alai hem X, Y ve Z
Now, how do you watch YouTube videos? Some people use their computer. Some people use their phones.
5. I watch YouTube on my computer
- For a male – אני צופה ביוטיוב במחשב שלי
- Phonetics – ani tzofe bayutyub bamah’shev sheli
- For a female – אני צופה ביוטיוב במחשב שלי
- Phonetics – ani tzofa bayutyub bamah’shev sheli
6. I watch YouTube on my phone
The key word here is “batelefon.” Or, you can just say iPhone.
- For a male – אני צופה ביוטיוב בטלפון שלי
- Phonetics – ani tzofe bayutyub batelefon sheli
- For a female – אני צופה ביוטיוב בטלפון שלי
- Phonetics – ani tzofa bayutyub batelefon sheli
7. I like to watch videos about ____
- For a male – ____אני אוהב לצפות בסרטונים על
- Phonetics – ani ohev litzpot besirtonim al ____
- For a female – ____אני אוהבת לצפות בסרטונים על
- Phonetics – ani ohevet litzpot besirtonim al ____
Now, let’s get to the main question. Can you learn Hebrew on YouTube? Here’s how to ask and answer that.
8. Can you learn Hebrew on YouTube?
- האם אפשר ללמוד עברית ביוטיוב?
- Phonetics – haim efshar lilmod ivrit bayutyub?
9. Yes, you can learn Hebrew on YouTube
- כן, אפשר ללמוד עברית ביוטיוב
- Phonetics – ken, efshar lilmod ivrit bayutyub
10. No, you can’t learn Hebrew on YouTube
- לא, אי אפשר ללמוד עברית ביוטיוב
- Phonetics – lo, i efshar lilmod ivrit bayutyub
Part 2: How to Learn Hebrew on YouTube… and Can You?
Well, first you have to understand what YouTube is: entertainment. And to keep you watching. it will serve up EVEN MORE entertaining things which are distractions. Like, right after your Hebrew video, there will be a cat video. Or dogs doing things video. Or people falling out of trees video.
So, entertainment and distraction. Can you learn like that?
The answer isn’t a hard yes or no. Yes, it’s good to capture your attention with something entertaining. Kind of like starting a speech with a joke. But, if you’re watching a video for the sake of entertainment and wanting to know what happens next, you certainly are NOT in a learning state of mind. You may think you are… but unless you have a dictionary, pen and paper out and are rewinding the video every second so you can write things down, you’re not.
Passive learning (just watching or listening, without real engagement) can work when you’re reviewing old information.
But to learn new words and grammar rules – you need active learning. You need to pause, look up words and break things down. And that’s something NOONE does with entertainment.
The big downside of trying to learn with YouTube is distraction. Distraction coming from all the fun videos that they want you to watch next. Cute kittens. Dogs. People falling out of trees.
You may think you’re smarter than the YouTube recommendations… but no. They make a lot of money from keeping you engaged and watching. So, you’re always looking to hook you onto a new video.
And the thing is… learning and distraction don’t go together.
So, in that sense, trying to learn with YouTube is like trying to go on a diet when your family only eats pizza. Or trying to work out from the comfort of your own home. Doesn’t work. You need separate spaces.
There are some solutions though.
First, if you want to learn Hebrew, don’t make YouTube your first choice.
And if you insist on using YouTube (it’s free after-all. Well, free to use. But you will PAY with attention and time), then get a browser extension that blocks the sidebar.
So, can you learn Hebrew on YouTube? Not if you’re distracted. Not if you’re caught up in the entertainment. But. if you try the distraction-free plugins, it may work. And if not, get a Hebrew learning program or a textbook.
– The Main Junkie