Want to speak Greek? Yes? Good – keep reading. This is for those that truly want to learn the language. Here’s how you introduce yourself in Greek in 10 easy lines… and this might take you 2 to 3 minutes or less. With this lesson…
- You get the Greek, translations and romanizations.
- Read out loud to practice your speaking.
- Feel free to print this sheet out for extra review.
Here’s how you introduce yourself in Greek. Let’s go.
…if you REALLY want to learn Greek with effective audio & video lessons by real teachers – Sign up at GreekPod101 (click here) and start learning! I recommend it.
1) Hello, It’s nice to meet you.
Hello and Nice to meet you in Greek are a must-know phrases. And any introduction will probably will start with these words.
- Hello, it’s nice to meet you.
- Ya sas, héro polí.
- Γεια σας, χαίρω πολύ.
2) My name is _____.
This is simple. To say “my name is” in Greek, you just need the phrase “To ónomá mu íne.” Then say your name.
- My name is _____.
- To ónomá mu íne _____.
- Το όνομά μου είναι _____.
3) I am from ______.
So, where are you from? America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Just stick the name of your country inside this phrase. We’ll use Greece as an example.
- I’m from Greece.
- Íme apó tin Eláda.
- Είμαι από την Ελλάδα.
4) I live in ______.
What about now – where do you live? Just fill in the blank with the country or city (if famous) into this phrase. I’ll use Athens as an example.
- I live in Athens.
- Zo stin Athína.
- Ζω στην Αθήνα.
5) I’ve been learning Greek for _____.
How long have you been learning Greek for? A month? A year?
- I’ve been learning Greek for a year.
- Mathéno eliniká edó ke énan hróno.
- Μαθαίνω ελληνικά εδώ και έναν χρόνο.
6) I’m learning Greek at _____.
Where are you learning Greek? At school? At home? This would be a great line to know and use when you’re introducing yourself. Here’s my example:
- I’m learning Greek at GreekPod101.com.
- Mathéno eliniká sto ‘GreekPod101.com’.
- Μαθαίνω ελληνικά στο GreekPod101.com.
7) I am ____ years old.
Here’s how to say how old you are in Greek. .
- I’m 27 years old.
- Íme íkosi eptá etón.
- Είμαι 27 ετών.
8) I am ______.
What about your position? Are you a student? Yoga teacher? Lawyer for the potato industry? Potato salesman? Super important question that people like to ask (and judge you about – Hey, I’m just a blogger!). Just use “Íme” meaning “I” and add your position.
- I’m a teacher.
- Íme dáskalos.
- Είμαι δάσκαλος.
9) One of my hobbies is _____.
Now, let’s move onto personal interests – hobbies! My hobbies are languages, linguajunkieing and such. How about you? You’ll definitely need this line when introducing yourself in Greek.
Here’s an example to use:
- One of my hobbies is reading.
- Éna apó ta hóbi mu íne to diávasma.
- Ένα από τα χόμπι μου είναι το διάβασμα.
10) I enjoy listening to music.
Now, this is just another example line about your hobbies. You can use something else where.
- I enjoy listening to music.
- Mu arési na akúo musikí.
- Μου αρέσει να ακούω μουσική.
So now you know how to introduce yourself in Greek in 10 lines. I’m sure there’s a ton more you can say – but this is an easy, simple start that any beginner can put to use. It’s all about starting easy.
See if you can introduce yourself below. Leave me a comment.
I read all comments!
Hope you enjoyed this!
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Greek learners. If you REALLY want to learn to Greek with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at GreekPod101 (click here) and start learning!