Want to speak Dutch? Yes? Good – keep reading. This is for those that truly want to learn the language. Here’s how you introduce yourself in Dutch in 10 easy lines… and this might take you 2 to 3 minutes or less. With this lesson…
- You get the Dutch phrases & English translations.
- Read out loud to practice your speaking.
- Feel free to print this sheet out for extra review.
Here’s how you introduce yourself in Dutch. Let’s go.
…if you REALLY want to learn Dutch with effective audio & video lessons by real teachers – Sign up at DutchPod101 (click here) and start learning! I recommend it.
1) Hello, It’s nice to meet you.
Hello and Nice to meet you in Dutch are a must-know phrases. And any introduction will probably will start with these words.
- Hallo, leuk je te ontmoeten.
- Hello, it’s nice to meet you.
2) My name is _____.
This is simple. To say “my name is” in Dutch, you just need the word “Mijn naam.” Then say your name. For example, if the name is Kevin, it would be like this…
- My name is Kevin.
- Mijn naam is Kevin.
3) I am from ______.
So, where are you from? America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Just stick the name of your country inside this phrase. We’ll use the Netherlands as an example.
- Ik kom uit Nederland.
- I’m from Netherlands.
4) I live in ______.
What about now – where do you live? Just fill in the blank with the country or city (if famous) into this phrase. I’ll use Amsterdam as an example.
- Ik woon in Amsterdam.
- I live in Amsterdam.
5) I’ve been learning Dutch for _____.
How long have you been learning Dutch for? A month? A year?
- Ik ben al een jaar Nederlands aan het leren.
- I’ve been learning Dutch for a year.
6) I’m learning Dutch at _____.
Where are you learning Dutch? At school? At home? This would be a great line to know and use when you’re introducing yourself. Here’s my example:
- Ik ben Nederlands aan het leren op DutchPod101.com.
- I’m learning Dutch at DutchPod101.com.
7) I am ____ years old.
Here’s how to say how old you are in Dutch.
- Ik ben 27 jaar oud.
- I’m 27 years old.
8) I am ______.
What about your position? Are you a student? Yoga teacher? Lawyer for the potato industry? Potato salesman? Super important question that people like to ask (and judge you about – Hey, I’m just a blogger!). So… if you’re a teacher, like I am….
- Ik ben leraar.
- I’m a teacher.
9) One of my hobbies is _____.
Now, let’s move onto personal interests – hobbies! My hobbies are languages, linguajunkieing and such. How about you? You’ll definitely need this line when introducing yourself in Dutch.
Here’s an example to use:
- Een van mijn hobby’s is lezen.
- One of my hobbies is reading.
10) I enjoy listening to music.
Now, this is just another example line about your hobbies. You can use something else where.
- Ik geniet van het luisteren naar muziek.
- I enjoy listening to music.
So now you know how to introduce yourself in Dutch in 10 lines. I’m sure there’s a ton more you can say – but this is an easy, simple start that any beginner can put to use. It’s all about starting easy.
See if you can introduce yourself below. Leave me a comment.
I read all comments!
Hope you enjoyed this!
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Dutch learners. If you REALLY want to learn to Dutch with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at DutchPod101 (click here) and start learning!