NOTE: This article is for NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS that want to LEARN the HINDI LANGUAGE. If this isn’t you, I’m sorry, you’re wasting your time here.
Want to speak Hindi? Yes? Good – keep reading. This is for those that truly want to learn the language. Here’s how you introduce yourself in Hindi in 10 easy lines… and this might take you 2 to 3 minutes or less. With this lesson…
- You get the Hindi, translations and romanizations.
- Read out loud to practice your speaking.
- Feel free to print this sheet out for extra review.
Here’s how you introduce yourself in Hindi. Let’s go.
1) Hello, It’s nice to meet you.
Hello and Nice to meet you in Hindi are a must-know phrases. And any introduction will probably will start with these words.
- Hello, it’s nice to meet you.
- हैलो, आप से मिल कर खुशी हुई।
- hello, aap se mil kar khushi hui.
2) My name is _____.
This is simple. To say “my name is” in Hindi, you just need the word “Shmi.” Then say your name. For example, if the name is Vihaan, it would be like this…
- My name is Vihaan.
- मेरा नाम विहान है|.
- mera nam vihan hai
Or, stick your name in here:
- mera nam _____ hai
3) I am from ______.
So, where are you from? America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Just stick the name of your country inside this phrase. We’ll use India as an example.
- I’m from India.
- में इंडिया से हूँ|
- mein india se hoon.
4) I live in ______.
What about now – where do you live? Just fill in the blank with the country or city (if famous) into this phrase. I’ll use New Delhi as an example.
- I live in New Delhi.
- में नयी दिल्ली में रहता हूँ|
- mein nayi dilli mein rehta hoon.
5) I’ve been learning Hindi for _____.
How long have you been learning Hindi for? A month? A year?
- I’ve been learning Hindi for a year.
- में एक साल से हिन्दी सीख रहा हूँ|
- mein ek saal se hindi seekh raha hoon.
6) I’m learning Hindi at _____.
Where are you learning Hindi? At school? At home? This would be a great line to know and use when you’re introducing yourself. Here’s my example:
- I’m learning Hindi at HindiPod101.com.
- में हिंदिपॉड101.कॉम पर हिन्दी सीख रहा हूँ|
- mein hindipod101.com par hindi seekh raha hoon.
7) I am ____ years old.
Here’s how to say how old you are in Hindi.
- I’m 27 years old.
- में सत्ताईस साल का हूँ|
- mein sattais sal ka hoon.
8) I am ______.
What about your position? Are you a student? Yoga teacher? Lawyer for the potato industry? Potato salesman? Super important question that people like to ask (and judge you about – Hey, I’m just a blogger!).
- I’m a teacher.
- में एक शिक्षक हूँ|
- mein ek shikshak hoon.
9) One of my hobbies is _____.
Now, let’s move onto personal interests – hobbies! My hobbies are languages, linguajunkieing and such. How about you? You’ll definitely need this line when introducing yourself in Hindi.
Here’s an example to use:
- One of my hobbies is reading.
- पढ़ना भी मेरा एक शौक है|
- padhna bhi mera ek shauk hai
10) I enjoy listening to music.
Now, this is just another example line about your hobbies. You can use something else where.
- I enjoy listening to music.
- मुझे संगीत सुनना पसंद है|
- mujhe sangeet sunna pasand hai.
So now you know how to introduce yourself in Hindi in 10 lines. I’m sure there’s a ton more you can say – but this is an easy, simple start that any beginner can put to use. It’s all about starting easy.
See if you can introduce yourself below. Leave me a comment.
I read all comments!
Hope you enjoyed this!
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Hindi learners. If you REALLY want to learn to Hindi with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at HindiPod101 (click here) and start learning!