Russian Phrases: Learn the TOP 18 Russian Compliments
Want to learn how to compliment in Russian… and seriously impress some Russians? Well, that’s why you’re here. Here’s a quick Russian compliment lesson – a 2-3 minute read.
Today, you’ll learn 18 Russian Compliments for life, love, friends and of course, work. Don’t worry – they’re usable for males, females, friends, lovers, coworkers and all kinds of people. So, you will..
- say these compliments in Russian.
- learn with English translations and romanizations
- impress the hell out of Russians
And if you REALLY want to learn to Russian with effective audio & video lessons by real teachers – Sign up at RussianPod101 (click here). Note – this list was made with their help.
1. You’re handsome.
- Вы красивы.
- Vi krasivi.
This one’s for guys. Why? The word “beautiful/handsome” is masculine form. Change the gender of the adjective and it becomes useful for women. See below.
2. You’re beautiful.
- Вы красивая.
- Vi krasivaya.
For women! Notice that the gender of the adjective went to feminine.
3. Great job!
- Хорошая работа!
- Haroshaya rabota!
This is a very general compliment. Basically if someone has done a great job (duh) or accomplished a goal. Use it when you want to praise someone for their work. Good for friends, coworkers, family and anyone.
4. Another version of this is “molodets.” This is used to praise a person (guy) when they do a good job. Used on anything from getting good grades to sports to people you admire. This is very casual. The meaning of molodets just means “good guy” or someone that’s “good” or “skilled.”
- Good guy! (interpretation)
5. Finally, there is “krasavchik” which comes from the word “krasiviy (handsome/beautiful) but is less about beauty and more about talent and you being impressed by that person.
Like “molodets,” this is used for people you admire and praise. This is usually not about looks unless the context is about looks.
6. Your inside is even more beautiful than your outside.
- Вы прекрасны изнутри даже больше чем снаружи.
- Vi prekrasni iznutri dazhe bol’she chem snaruzhi.
This is poetic. And this sounds like it’s been taken straight out of a romantic TV show. If you want to express this compliment – this is for you.
Not really used in common conversation. This is something you’d use because you were creative enough to think of it.
7. You make me want to be a better person.
- Вы заставляете меня быть лучше.
- Vi zastavlyayete menya bit’ lutshe.
Another awfully poetic and impressive compliment. And I hope my Russian lessons make you want to be a better person as well!
8. That jacket looks nice on you.
- Эта куртка вам идёт.
- Eta kurtka vam idyot.
A must-know compliment. If you want to comment on something other than a “jacket,” simply replace it with another word like… “shirt” or “pants” or “gloves.” Why not!? Anyway, this is one you should use a lot – for guys or girls. Especially Russian girls.
They really love to dress up.
9. You’re smart!
- Ты умный!
- Ti umniy!
Great to use for little kids. Just as good to use for your friends. And in general, who doesn’t like to be told that they’re smart?
This is an all-around compliment you can use for anyone.
10. You are an awesome friend.
- Ты удивительный друг.
- Ti udivitel’niy droog.
This is just a good Russian compliment to use for your friends. Even they deserve a nice word or two once in a while, right?
11. You have a great sense of humor.
- У вас хорошее чувство юмора.
- U vas horosheye chuvstvo yumora.
Great to use on anyone. We all like to think that we’re funny. Please tell me I’m funny.
12. Your smile is beautiful.
- Твоя улыбка прекрасна.
- Tvoya ulibka prekrasna.
Great compliment to use. Why? Everyone comments on general looks. This is specific. It’s about something that’s unique to them… their smile! Use it and expect awesome results. I guarantee it.
13. I love your cooking.
- Мне нравится, как ты готовишь.
- Mne nravitsya, kak ti gotovish’.
Ooh, very important compliment to use on the ladies. Why? They feel good about their cooking talent. They cook more. You eat more. It’s a win-win situation. Just don’t get fat like I did.
14. You have good taste.
- У тебя хороший вкус.
- U tebya horoshiy vkus.
This is a nice compliment you can use on most people – friends, family, coworkers and anyone on your level. Basically, it’s typically used to comment on their tastes in fashion, movies, books, etc. etc. Similar as how you would use it in English.
Works best on girls!
15. You look gorgeous/great
- Ты отлично выглядишь
- Ty otlichno viglyadish’
Literally, this means “you look great.”
Again, this is one of those Russian compliments that you must know. If you want the girl to like you, tell her a damn compliment!
Now, this can be used for men too because there’s no specification of gender. Plus, the words don’t carry any gendered nuances. Very neutral.
16. You have a way with words.
- Вы умеете находить правильные слова.
- Vi umeyete nahodit’ pravil’nye slova.
This compliment’s for anyone that’s a good talker… and probably, better used for guys when they’re saying all those nice things to girls. You might get this compliment by using all the other compliments I listed here.
17. I know that it was a tough project, but your performance exceeded my expectations.
- Я знаю, что это был трудный проект, но ваши результаты превзошли мои ожидания.
- Ya znayu, chto eto bil trudniy proekt, no vashi rezul’taty prevzoshli moi ozhidaniya.
Now, obviously this Russian compliment can really only be used for employees… or perhaps students. Well, if you’re a boss… (do many bosses read my site? get back to work!), here’s something for you!
18. Your resume is impressive.
- Ваше резюме впечатляет.
- Vashe rezyume vpechatlyayet.
Again, not a typical compliment, but definitely a good one to hear if you’re applying for jobs. So, if you just happen to be interviewing a Russian person… use this!
So, what do you think?
There are only 18 Russian compliments here. Do you know any more?
If you have more to add to this list, be sure to leave a comment below. A big thank you for RussianPod101 for making this lesson free to use.
I read them all and will add it to my list.
Hope you enjoyed this!
– The Main Junkie
P.S. I highly recommend this for Russian learners. If you REALLY want to learn to Russian with effective lessons by real teachers – Sign up for free at RussianPod101 (click here) and start learning!